Monday, February 20, 2012

a strange childhood


When I was a baby, my parents probably thought, "what a nice young lady she will become.... "
They subsequently dressed me in flowery pink clothing. 



Once I began talking, however, things changed. I was a very opinionated toddler. 
To my parents' surprise, I wanted to have short hair and to wear boys' clothes. I despised barbies and princesses. 
I was a tomboy. 



Girls want superheroes AND the boys want superheroes. Girls want pink stuff, AND the boys want pink stuff.

From  age four to age ten, I was continuously mistaken for a boy. 
"Honey, the boy's bathroom is down the hall. You are in the girl's bathroom." 
I am a girl, dammit. 
Luckily, I was never questioned so much that I had to prove my gender.  I definitely would have pulled a Viola Hastings. 


anatomy decides all
Between the ages of 6 and 8, I thought girls' bathing suits were too girly. Hence, I chose the obvious alternative, the zip-up onesie wannabe wetsuit. 



During one momentous summer, I graduated from the the zip-up onesie wannabe wetsuit to the ultra feminine girl's one-piece speedo. SUCH a big moment. 

girly, huh?
I was not just your average tomboy. no no no. I was a colorblind fashionably disabled tomboy

orange and green, REALLY? 


despicable bloutfit
The first time I wore a dress was truly a significant moment in my childhood. I must have thought, 
"this is it. I am becoming real girl."

Little known fact: I was wearing boxers underneath my dress

baby steps. 


No comments:

Post a Comment